Saturday, March 05, 2005

Simple maintenance

Computers need maintenance just like cars. No you don't change the oil and spark plugs but you do need to do some cleaning once in awhile.
Do your research and post questions on forums before you undertake any major house cleaning.
Stay away from your Registry(comp brains) until you have a comfortable grasp on what is entailed.
Start out with Spyware removers like Spybot, Adaware or MS spyware. You should notice an improvement.
Next, in your browser, go to the tools menu, find the options then locate the area where you can delete temp internet files and cookies. Delete these things. Check the settings for temp internet files. By default it's set at something like 1056mb. This is way too much. Every time you go to a website your computer searches this file to see if it has already stored the basic template for the site. Most times this takes up more time than actualy loading the site . Set it to 5 or 10 mb. This will speed up your browsing a bit.
Defrag your hard drive. Found in the start-programs-accessories-system tools. this may take awhile so sit back and wait. If you have never done this and your computer is 6mos. or older, expect to wait for 45min or more.
It also wouldn't hurt to run disk cleanup. Most of what this does is delete temp internet files and so-0n.
Organize your files and eliminate duplicates and stuff you just don't need.
Uninstall programs you don't use anymore. Then delete the program download to free up more space.
Certain programs use alot of ram (memory). When you run low on memory your computer will slow down or even freeze up. If you notice certain problems when you use certain programs this may be an indicator. Either uninstall then reinstall(to fix minor errors) or find a suitable replacement.
I hope this has helped you in some way.

"D"

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that without some of the information you have, would my computer be filled with spyware. I'm always looking for more information about detection spyware and I have bookmarked your blog among the must visit resources!

Keep the good work up!
More info about detection spyware here.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi "D", I was just blog surfing looking for some information on Wireless Keybaord & Mouse. Although your site is not exactly related to what I was looking for it was still an interesting read. Keep up the good work!

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi "D", I found your site while doing a search for computer surge protection. You've gor some great stuff here! Although not exactly related to what I was looking for, it still provided for an interesting read. Keep up the good work!

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there "D", I’m out surfing for a good blog
experience on spybot search and destroy and found your great site.
Although Simple maintenance wasn’t exactly what I’m looking for
it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now
why I found your excellent blog-site when I was
searching for spybot search and destroy related web sites and I’m
glad I found your site even though its not an exact
match. I’ll leave you with a good quote from Walter F.
Mondale - "What do we want our kids to do? Sweep up
around Japanese computers? " -- Walter F. Mondale
Excellent Post, thank you for the read.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi "D", I’m out searching the web for the latest
and greatest information on addaware download and found your
great site. Although Simple maintenance wasn’t specifically
what I was looking for it definitely got my interest
and attention. I see now why I found your interesting
blog when I was looking for addaware download related
information and I’m grateful I found your site even
though its not a perfect match. Great Post, thanks
for your informative site, Here’s my favorite quote
for you - "The real danger is not that computers
will begin to think like men, but that men will begin
to think like computers. " - Sydney J. Harris

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"D", today I was looking for a nice blog
experience on addaware download and I found your website.
Simple maintenance wasn’t exactly what I was looking for but it
did get my attention and interest. I see why I arrived
on your excellent website when I was searching for
addaware download related information and I’m glad I did
even though its not an exact fit. I’ll contribute to
your website by leaving you with one of my favorite
quote from Walter Mossberg:: "Why shouldn't a PC work
like a refrigerator or a toaster? " -- Walter
Mossberg

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"D", today I was looking for a nice blog
experience on spybot and I found your website.
Simple maintenance wasn’t exactly what I was looking for but it
did get my attention and interest. I see why I arrived
on your excellent website when I was searching for
spybot related information and I’m glad I did
even though its not an exact fit. I’ll contribute to
your website by leaving you with one of my favorite
quote from Walter Mossberg:: "Why shouldn't a PC work
like a refrigerator or a toaster? " -- Walter
Mossberg

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there "D", I’m out surfing for a good blog
experience on addaware download and found your great site.
Although Simple maintenance wasn’t exactly what I’m looking for
it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now
why I found your excellent blog-site when I was
searching for addaware download related web sites and I’m
glad I found your site even though its not an exact
match. I’ll leave you with a good quote from Walter F.
Mondale - "What do we want our kids to do? Sweep up
around Japanese computers? " -- Walter F. Mondale
Excellent Post, thank you for the read.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello "D", I’m just searching the web for the
next big thing on adaware and noticed your great
site. Although Simple maintenance wasn’t actually what I was
looking for it DID get my attention and interest. I
see now why I found your great website when I was
searching for adaware related information and I’m
thankful I found your blogsite even though its not an
exact match. Excellent Post, thanks for the read
(It’s a keeper), One last thing, here’s a great quote
from Doug Larson - "Home computers are being called
upon to perform many new functions, including the
consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -
Doug Larson

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Location: United States

Powered by Blogger